m. Mary O’CONNOR (1820-1904) – on April 19, 1837 at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Wildfield, Toronto Gore Township, Peel County
Upon his death on March 11 1849, William's estate was valued at £1005, 10s with total debts of £181 . The majority of this was in land. The 100 acres on Lot 8, Concession 9, Toronto Gore Township where the Harrisons first settled in 1831 was valued at £600. Mary O'CONNOR, William HARRISON's widow married Edward GALVIN at St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Wildfield, Peel County, Canada on January 27, 1864. On February 1, 1864 Edward and his wife Mary signed an indenture where she releases her 1/3 dower interest in all property to her son William for $1. Edward seems to have disappeared sometime later.
William and Mary had the following children:
• William (1838-1920) m. Minnie DEADY at St. Mary’s Church, Simcoe County on November 28, 1888 – they had one child, a daughter named Frankie in 1890. She married James DERRICK. William attended St. Michael's College, affiliated with the University of Toronto, in the early 1860s. According to his obituary, published in the Brampton Conservator on May 27, 1920, William passed away suddenly on May 19th of heart disease. He was engaged in farming at Derry West for a number of years and then operated the Arlington Hotel in Brampton from about 1895. The hotel was located on the corner of Railroad and Elizabeth Streets directly across from the Grand Truck Railway station. He was buried in St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Cemetery in Brampton.
• Bridget (1840-1856), buried St. Patrick’s Cemetery – never married. Her obituary in the Toronto Mirror says that she died "after a lingering illness". "Miss Harrison was a native of the Gore of Toronto, and from her sweet charitable, and pious disposition, will be long and deeply mourned by her friends and acquaintances".
• Francis H. (1842-1925) m. Mary Ada CREED, April 1, 1876, Evanston, Wyoming USA. Francis attended St. Michael's College in the 1860s and would become a medical doctor, after furthering his education at Bellevue Medical College in New York City, and then at Yale University - including a stint in the US Army as a Medical Cadet during the Civil War (see separate entry).
• John (1845-1927) m. Margaret LENNON on January 9, 1901 at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Toronto Gore Township, Peel County – they had one child, a daughter named Gertrude. Gertrude would later married John DEANE on August 23, 1922 – they had four known children – John, James, William and Helen and lived in Woodbridge, Vaughan Township. John DEANE was a recent emigrant to Canada only arriving in Quebec in November 1920. Sometime after 1901 John retired to a large farmhouse in Vaughan Township, York County just north of Claireville. The house still exists and is located on the east side of Highway 50 just north of Highway 407.
Tombstone of John Harrison and Margaret Lennon
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Cemetery, Wildfield
© Michael Harrison 2010
• Nicholas (1847-1933) m. Mary WILEY on January 24, 1882 at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Toronto Gore Township, Peel County.
Nicholas Harrison Farm - Lot 8, Concession 10, Toronto Gore Township, Peel County © Michael Harrison 2009
Nicholas farmed on Lot 8, Concession 10, Toronto Gore Township for a number of years. Upon his retirement he moved to a small cottage on the west side of The Gore Road just south of Mayfield Road opposite St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church. According to his obituary in the March 31, 1933 edition of the Bolton Enterprise, Nicholas passed away at his home on March 27th. He was described as “one who had been prominent in the public life of the county for well over half a century”. He had served as the clerk of the Township of Toronto Gore for 50 years, as well as representing the township on the Board of Directors of the Peel Farmers Insurance Company, of which he was president from 1910-1912. He was also a school trustee for several years.
Nicholas and Mary had the following children:
- Mary Maria (1882-1962) m. Charles O’HARA on April 26, 1904 at. St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church – had 4 children
- Anne Elizabeth (1884-1964) m. George WIGGINS in Calgary in 1905? – buried in Winnipeg in 1964?
- William John (1885-1966) m. Della Bernice Hammond. William lived on the family farm until sometime after 1911 when he went to Saskatchewan. His draft papers from 1918 have him as single and living in Amulet, Saskatchewan. Sometime later he married Della Bernice Hammond, daughter of Ben Hammond of North Dakota. They had two children William Maurice Harrison in 1921 and Rosalie Edith Harrison in 1924. They were living on Yuma County, Arizona in the 1930 and 1940 US Census. Descendants continue to live in Yuma today.
- Francis Ewart (1887-1961) – never married
- Clara Isabel (1889-1924) m. Charles TICE in Toronto in 1906
- Hilda Maria (1891-1980) m. Dr. TIGHE on April 7, 1913 ? – lived in Bomanville. Their son Frank lived one day and died in Bolton on May 29, 1918.
- Alice Louise (1893-1986) m. Martin BYRNE on September 23, 1914
- Edith Alexandra (1897-1917) – never married
- Minnie Margaret (1898-1983) m. JR RUTLEDGE in 1936 San Diego, USA